Homeschooling Affidavits

Published in Legal
  • Email
  • Print

To educate your child at home, you must submit a signed affidavit each year to your school district. By submitting the affidavit, you are informing the school district that your child will attend a home school and receive instruction

  • in the subjects the State Board of Education requires to be taught in public schools in accordance with law, and
  • for the same length of time as children in public schools (180 days per year - 990 hours, 810 hours for first grade).

The Annual Exemption Process

The law states that you must submit your affidavit annually. Although the law doesn't dictate the time of year, this is usually done during the summer months.

The annual exemption process is very simple:

  1. Provide an affidavit.
  2. Get your affidavit notarized.
  3. Deliver your affidavit to your school district (by mail or by hand).
  4. Wait to receive your certificate of exemption from the school district.

Provide an Affidavit

Utah law allows you to submit your own affidavit. So, you are not required to use an affidavit provided by your school district. Although many school districts provide sample affidavits for you to use, we recommend that you create your own affidavit or use one of the sample affidavits below.

Creating Your Own Affidavit

Creating your own homeschooling affidavit is not difficult. You can simply write a letter indicating that your child will attend a home school and receive instruction as required by law. That's it.

To avoid having your child's information made available in directory listings, you might consider adding a phrase indicating that you don't allow that (see the sample affidavits).

Sample Affidavits

The sample affidavits below can give you an idea of what a homeschooling affidavit looks like. You may use these sample affidavits or create your own. The first is an affidavit formatted as a form; the latter is in letter format.

A Note About Using District Forms

If you choose to use an affidavit provided by your school district, be sure to carefully read the affidavit before signing it. Some school district forms may ask for information that is not required by law. For example, they may ask the reason you are educating your child at home, the curriculum you are using, etc. You are not required to provide this information. If you disagree with any of the language on the district's form, you can simply cross it out.

Get Your Affidavit Notarized

In Utah, an affidavit is required to be notarized. After you have created your affidavit, take it to a notary. Be sure to not sign your affidavit until you are before the notary. For free notary services, try your credit union or bank. Many cities provide free notary services too.

Deliver Your Affidavit to Your School District

Once your affidavit is notarized, either mail it to your school district or deliver it by hand. Be sure to make a copy of the notarized, signed affidavit for your records. When sending your affidavit by mail, you might consider sending it by certified mail to ensure that it gets there.

Wait to Receive Your Certificate of Exemption

Within 30 days of receiving your signed affidavit, your school district is required by law to issue you a certificate stating that your child is excused from attendance. Your school district cannot tell you no. Most school districts' certificates of exemption expire in June of each year.