I haven't received my exemption certificate yet. What do I do?

25 November 2011
Published in Affidavits

It is not uncommon for many school districts to be slow in returning certificates of exemption. If it's getting close to the start of the school year, or if you are just feeling uncomfortable, call your school district's homeschool liaison or drop by their office.

Do I need to wait until after the end of the school year to begin homeschooling my child?

25 November 2011
Published in Affidavits

You can begin homeschooling your child anytime during the year. You just need to submit an affidavit to your school district. They must accept your affidavit and provide you a certificate of exemption, no matter what time of year it is.

Homeschooling Affidavits

24 November 2011
Published in Legal

To educate your child at home, you must submit a signed affidavit each year to your school district. By submitting the affidavit, you are informing the school district that your child will attend a home school and receive instruction

  • in the subjects the State Board of Education requires to be taught in public schools in accordance with law, and
  • for the same length of time as children in public schools (180 days per year - 990 hours, 810 hours for first grade).